Marc T. Killinger
I’m a creative communications professional with a master’s degree in journalism. I have strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and am accomplished in public relations and writing for the web and social media. I’m adept at working in team situations and on deadline. Well organized and effective at seeing the big picture. I’m fully proficient in speaking, teaching and proofreading Spanish.
Communications Committee, Boulder Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Lafayette, Colo. (bvuuf.org)
- Coordinate active, involved committee of six people including planning agendas and facilitating meetings.
- Served on subcommittee in rebranding the church and am coordinating application of the “new look” to the many communication vehicles at the church.
- Revising and re-writing sections of website to make the copy more lively and user-accessible (see for instance bvuuf.org/social-justice-action-committee).
Associate Editor 1994-1999 and 2007-2012
University of Colorado at Boulder Alumni Association, Boulder, Colo.
- Wrote, edited and proofread news and feature articles about alumni, university research, etc. for award-winning, quarterly Coloradan magazine (coloradanmagazine.org/archives) using Associated Press style.
- Developed story ideas and wrote articles as editor of monthly e-mail newsletter, BuffAlum Notes. Located photos and other art and designed newsletter in WordPress (alumni.colorado.edu/publications/newsletter).
- Wrote and edited copy for website at alumni.colorado.edu and for social media.
- Contributed to redesign of Association and to university’s brand and graphic identity.
- Gained valuable non-profit experience in planning, budgeting, hiring and team building.
- Coordinated photography and art for the Coloradan.
- Hired, trained and supervised student and intern writers.
Flagstone Yearbook Adviser 2004-2006
University of Colorado at Boulder Alumni Association
- Advised student editors and section writers on content, design and layout of yearbooks.
- Served as liaison to printers, handling printing specs and budgets.
Public Relations Consultant 2002-2004
Global Response, Boulder, Colo. (now part of culturalsurvival.org)
- Wrote copy and edited outreach and membership materials for environmental action and education network.
- Worked on website, newsletters, annual reports, press releases and fundraising appeals.
Editor, Tour Manager and Wine Specialist 1999-2001
Chile Information Project (CHIP), Santiago, Chile
- Worked as editor-in-chief, determining, writing and editing content for the Santiago Times, a daily digest of Chilean news in English (santiagotimes.cl).
- Developed and implemented day-tour program, including production and dissemination of marketing materials.
- Researched and led winery and other themed tours in central Chile.
- Edited and contributed to CHIP’s online travel guide to Chile.
Editor and Proofreader 1993-1994
University of Colorado at Boulder Publications and Marketing Service, Boulder, Colo.
- Insured quality control and content accuracy while proofreading award-winning book, Body & Soul – Boulder’s Campus Architecture.
- Edited and proofread catalogs, scholarly articles and brochures using Chicago style.
Graphics Lab Supervisor 1988-1991
Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Directed undergraduate student work in content, layout, editing and production of PhiladelphiaPeople magazine.
- Taught PageMaker and QuarkXpress, and wrote a MicrosoftWord student manual.
- Designed and edited “MJers,” a newsletter for the Master of Journalism program.
Public Relations Consultant and Translator 1989
American Friends Service Committee, Philadelphia, Pa., and Servicio, Desarollo y Paz, Mexico City (now at afsc.org/office/mexico)
- Wrote outreach, press materials and final report for 50th-anniversary conference of Quaker volunteer service projects in Latin America.
- Did photography and interpretation at conference in Mexico.
- Top 2011 international award from Council for Advancement and Support of Education for University of Colorado Alumni Association Coloradan magazine (CASE “Gold Award” for General Interest Magazines –- circulation of 75,000 or greater). (Writer, editor and proofreader.)
- Five awards including 1995 Bronze from Art Directors Club of Denver for Body & Soul – Boulder’s Campus Architecture. (Editor and proofreader.)
Master of Journalism, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa.
Bachelor’s in Spanish and Latin American Studies, Temple University and Haverford College, Haverford, Pa.